Wednesday 21 April 2010

Unplugged?




I've just been reading 'Unplug your Kids' (see sidebar for link). Well I wasn't aware but it is 'screen free week'. I think things like this are a good idea. The mere thought of living without a TV would send most people into a panic. But it is possible. Some people do . I remember our German teacher at school telling us that he didn't have one. He was kind of forced to repeat this statement a few times before it actually assimilated into our disbelieving teenage brains! And this was in the Eighties! Imagine that nowadays. I have noticed sometimes, certain people raise an eyebrow when they come to our house to find that we don't have Sky. Neither do we have a Wii or Nintendo. That's our choice for now. These things, in my opinion, have their place and are no doubt enjoyable. (It's a bit of a pain that I have to wait until 'Lost' comes out on dvd!). But I do not think they have a place in our homes at the moment. I prefer not to do without the telly altogether, also. There are particular things our family enjoy watching, and have a positive, helpful effect. After all, this blog is named after our favourite TV programme. Yes, of course we could read the books. Actually, we have done. But the TV programme I think, is even better. Probably down to the absolutely brilliant actors and warm direction of Michael Landon. There are some really gorgeous gardening and cookery programmes that I enjoy watching together with my eldest daughter and Hubby.
However, the point of this post is not to defend my tv habits, but draw attention to the 'Unplugged' cause. It certainly doesn't hurt to think about tv viewing every now and then and try limiting it in favour of finding alternative entertainment. Of course, for kids this can be quite challenging and harder work for parents trying to get a bit of peace maybe?
Anyway, it is worth a read and a ponder.
I'm including the link to a post to the 'Mommy, I'm bored box' post which I've found helpful.

1 comment:

  1. I grew up watching very little TV. I am not sure why? When the kids were little all our tv was good for was movies until our eldest turned 9 and then it became a very big social issue for him as he did not know what the other kids were talking about when they were talking about TV shows.

    Now we have TV but I very rarely watch it unless I am up in the middle of the night for some reason or I am sick. I really could live quite happily with out it. Olivia also rarely watches TV... maybe once or twice a week and is well aware she does not have any electronic gaming device. This were her choices. maybe she just sees the way I am. I am not sure. Being un-plugged is a good way to be!

    ReplyDelete