Sunday 11 April 2010

On my Sunday Soapbox.

This could be a regular feature... or maybe not. This blog is, or has developed into a place to document what we do as a family, probably focussing more on the children and to share ideas/links with anyone else who may be interested. However, now and again I may have a little rant/ talk out loud about what's on my mind. I don't want to do this too often. I think Ben Elton and Russell Brand do it brilliantly and so I'll leave it to them. But I think I can be forgiven for doing it occasionally.

I don't know if anyone else finds this but I mostly find that when I've talked to other Mums, colleagues, etc about something, say for instance one of the kids struggling with maths, other people seem very reluctant, even downright secretive about sharing any useful information about what they might know or have experienced. Perhaps it is just me. I can't think of anyone, in real life, that said 'oh there is a good website/book you might like to look at' or ' we tried...'

Actually, I know this happens to Hubby from time to time, though he's more nonchalant about it. I have seen it happen when he is about to embark upon some diy project at home and he is talking to someone about what he is planning to do. Of course, his audience at the time has little practical advice to offer. But then later, oh yes, later when the job is over and done, the aforementioned audience calls round for a look and then guess what happens...
S'right! 'You should have done it like this', or ' Oh, I have a such n such gizmo you could have borrowed that would have made your job easier!'
Frustrating, isn't it?
It seems if you want to know something or get help you really have to dig.
But that's one of the things I love about the blogs I read. That there are some people out there who are more than willing to share and support other people, total strangers.
I got thinking about this post because today I visited my favourite blog Sarah Sellers.
http://www.sarahsellers.co.uk/blog/
I've got more help/info/links from this blog than I have from any colleague, training course etc.
Today she was, again, highlighting the success her daughter is achieving from an on-line programme called Conquer Maths. They are offering a discount at the moment. I have asked her previously about this programme because I was interested in it for Honor but at the time it covered Key stages 3 and 4. But now they are introducing lessons for years 5 and 6. Hats off to her for taking the trouble to draw my attention to it.
Anyway.
I shall continue writing my blog as usual. And I hope any readers will get something useful out of it every now and then.
http://www.conquermaths.com/free/index.php

No comments:

Post a Comment