Friday 5 March 2010

Cooking Day.

Yesterday was cooking day. Henry had already finished his Kumon before school so he got to go first. To help him practise his reading, I wrote out some simple instructions from the recipe book for him to read as we went along, like this:
With very young children I like to change the colour of the letters to highlight the different phonemes. (ie: or, th and sh) I think it helps them identify them a bit more easily.

So here is Henry making raspberry muffins.







Honor's focus was.... maths!!!! So here she had to practise accurate measuring.





She made a sardine dip by blending a small can of sardines with 3 fl oz of plain yogurt, a few sprigs of coriander, a little squeeze of lemon juice and pinch of black pepper. Then she cut some cucumber, celery and red pepper sticks for dipping.




And served them with some japanese rice crackers. She loved this. Henry wasn't so keen on the sardine dip, so she ate his too. I managed to have a little bit myself but had to fight her for it!
Then we watched Little House on the Prairie.





1 comment:

  1. I think it is very important for children to learn to cook! The sooner the better and then they are makng their lunches in no time! Over here we measure everything for receipes in cups. There is no weighing just cup and tea spoon and table spoon measurements. When I first came here (and not a very good baker!) It took me a while to realise that a 'cup' was a precise measure and not a mug or any size 'tea cup! lol No wonder everthing I baked was a disaster!

    There is something about your cooking instruction cards that is very familiar to my child hood. I had a flash back and can't quite figure out what it is!!

    ReplyDelete