Tuesday 2 February 2010

Flu buster!

I have a cold. Today I made my flu busting hot n sour soup. I usually make my own stock from the carcass of a roast chicken. Yesterday we had chicken wings for tea so afterwards, I put all the bones in the slow cooker with a couple of chopped onions, chopped ginger, chopped garlic (a couple of cloves) and a few sticks of chopped celery. I then cover with water, throw in a few bayleaves and add about a teaspoonful of paprika and turmeric. As some of the chicken wings were left uneaten, I removed the meat and put aside in the fridge.
About 24 hours later I have the stock. In this bowl I have just added some of the chicken meat and some frozen sweetcorn and baby carrots. The kids eat this version. (I whizz up the baby's portion.)


And then for us, I add some chilli, fish sauce, chicken meat (or prawns if there's no meat left), kaffir lime leaves and at the end a squeeze of lemon or lime juice.
I've just had mine. It's certainly cleared the nasal passages for the time being.
My other secret weapon in the war against the winter bugs is Medised. It's meant for children but I find a few teaspoons of this helps me get a more decent nights' sleep.
I sometimes do Nigel Slater's version too.
Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment