Wednesday 9 December 2009

Planning ahead...

Wow! There was actually a bit of sunshine this morning on our way to school and I didn't have to stuff a towel through the letterbox last night to stop the wind from banging it. A welcome break from the miserable weather we've had for at least five weeks now. I'm not generally bothered by what the weather is like, but I do notice feeling particularly cheerful when the sun streams in through the windows. Maybe one of the reasons/excuses I have for not wanting to spend too much time in the kitchen is because it is so dark in there? It faces north and has a only a very small window. It's made slightly more cheerful and appealing by slapping up some Cath Kidston wallpaper (green mono rose) and I was happy this morning at my lovely clean work surfaces, not that they aren't usually clean but they were stained and now they're all better. Hubby told me last night that I should not have used bicarb of soda on the tile grouting. Apparently it causes it to disintegrate! But I gleefully reminded him, they're coming off in the New Year anyway. We plan to give the kitchen a bit of a makeover. Now that Hubby is getting quite nifty with the plastering, he's gonna give the ceiling a going over and hopefully install some spotlights. And the cream colour paint we've used in the living room is nice and light and cosy and maybe we should replace the Cath Kidston wallpaper with something like that. I do like my colour, though, so I'll have to find somewhere in there to use it. I need more storage, too. Don't we all? (By the way, Henry wasn't in the mood for school this morning and was complaining of a tummy ache... hence the scowling face.)

I'm feeling a bit better today. By the end of yesterday I was worn out by the kids and even missed Hubby a bit! (Who is in South Africa again) . I could have done with a cuddle. The in-laws are away, too so there's lots of running around and I can't call on anyone to mind the baby while she sleeps to pop out and get things done. The kids have been invited to a swimming party on Sunday so I'll have to manage the 3 of them by myself! And, even worse, will have to shave my legs!!! They're also invited to a Kumon award ceremony on Saturday night. I know I'll be exhausted and the baby will be cranky but they're both up for an award and I feel I should take them. Hope it doesn't mean I'll miss the X-Factor.

Hubby and I celebrate our eleventh wedding anniversary in two weeks. Nowadays that could be seen as something of an achievement. However, I read recently that the average marriage today lasts for 11.4 years, so perhaps we should really celebrate if we make through to next May. That doesn't mean I don't have faith in our marriage. Marriage isn't easy. I've seen so many break down, couples I would never have expected to. And those couples who do make it into old age seem to do nothing but moan and groan about life with their spouse. The other day I was listening to a discussion on Jeremy Vine (Radio2) about dementia and how these old people are very vulnerable to abuse and how difficult it is for the carers and it got me worrying about what's in store for the future. I shared these thoughts with Hubby that evening and he reassured me that when my marbles finally go he won't make me live in the hen house! One day at a time, I think. Anyway, I don't want to put much detail of our marriage in the public domain. It's between me and him (and all the people in the church at our wedding who made a vow to support us - I wonder if people ever remember that part?) but, as he reads this, I hope he won't mind me saying..."honey, I love you very much and can't wait 'til you are home again!"

No comments:

Post a Comment